View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #138
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
For those that get to watch the Heat games, why are the better this season? Talent wise they don't seem much different from previous years.
It's 3 things, improved defense, a better offensive start and team confidence.

Returning on the blueline were Valiev, Nielsen & Hamilton. All three were added last season after training camp. Valiev started with the Habs, Nielsen with the Leafs and Hamilton with Manchester in the ECHL. All three became better as the season progressed and they adapted to the system.

Out are Taormina, Healey, Ollas-Mattsson, Paliotta & Hogstrom. Hogstrom was injured in camp and missed most of the season, he did look good when he returned. Paliotta IMO looked overwhelmed last year, he only played 25 games the season prior, I don't know if that was due to injury, but it might explain his play if it was. Healey & Taormina were simply awful. Taormina hurt though because while we knew he was going to be a train wreck defensively, his elite offensive game was completely gone. AOM was actually fairly solid IMO, but I feel due to the Hogstrom injury, Taormina's inadequacy and guys learning the system on the fly, he was used in a larger role than he should have been.

In are Yelesin, Davidson & Leslie. Davidson & Leslie performing offensively like Taormina was expected to perform, while being better defensively and more physical of a physical presence. Yelesin is what we could have had in Hogstrom had he not been injured and an upgrade on AOM.

I believe these defensive improvements have also helped both the goaltending and forwards by giving each more confidence. With the defense being better, the forwards are allowed to play their offensive game. Phillips. Lomberg & Gawdin have all taken a big step forward offensively, last year they combined for 105 points in 187 games, this year they are on pace nearly double that. Froese & Kirkland have been an offensive upgrade on Graovac & Rychel as well.

In net, Gillies is currently healthy and seems to be in a better place mentally & emotionally this season as last year with two significant deaths in his family. I believe this and the defensive improvements to be why he is so much better to start this season.

Zagidulin is benefiting from some great goal support as he adjusts to the AHL game. Zags numbers are very similar to what Gillies posted last season, but with Gillies seeing fewer goals scored when he was played say him finish 7 games under .500, while Zags is already 7 games over .500. That said, I do think Zags is playing better than Gillies did last season as the numbers are skewed by a small sample size ad a few high scoring games. However, he does need to start allowing fewer goals because his average goal support of 4.5 goals in the games he has played.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 11-29-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post: