Thread: Home Brew Kits
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #141
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Definitely depends on the yeast strain for temps, it should say but most clean strains are 18-22 degrees. Also like was said above, get a hydrometer, there's many cases where people are tricked into thinking they didn't see any fermentation but the hydrometer doesn't lie. You won't see carbonation in an open container, you might not see much krausen either depending on lots of factors. Also, unless your container is sealed around all the edges, you may not see airlock activity either, the gas could just be escaping elsewhere. You should be able to distinctly tell a difference though between the before pitch taste and smell and the after....just be careful though, you can repitch, but the time that your juice is exposed also allows bad yeast to take hold so let your nose lead. Sometimes wild ferments come up with really neat things, sometimes they're poison haha

I would get a hydrometer and just check it anyhow, you may not pinpoint your ABV, but a cider with champagne yeast should dry out pretty good and if it's fermented out I'd anticipate it would be <1.005, some ciders will hit 0.98 but that usually takes sugar additions. You can't take the "sweetness" or lack of with crabapples as a lack of fermentables, I can't recall what my cider had for OG but it was likely around 1.05 before sugar