View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #1534
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
I’m sure it got changed for some reason, from the old one, to reward teams that play often, which is why it takes in various competitions.

Correct me if I’m wrong but if the team didn’t choke away the multiple goal lead vs Haiti of all teams earlier this year, they’d be in much better shape.

Or, have the useless governing body of this country have scheduled a few more (and meaningful) friendlies prior to this in the past year and a half since Herdman came on, they also may be in a more comfortable position. As it is, they left little margin for error to get to the Hex.
While more friendlies is always nice, it's hard to blame Soccer Canada for this one. CONCACAF had previously announced that the World Cup qualifying would use the "CONCACAF Rankings" that they had created which only accounted for games played between CONCACAF teams. This is what Canada was looking at so they thought they were in good shape. The problem is that when the format was actually announced CONCACAF decided to use the July FIFA rankings and this stupid top 6 and then everybody else format. There hasn't really been an opportunity to schedule friendlies since then since Nations League has been the priority (as the games are worth way more).

The Haiti game was a missed opportunity for sure. While we didn't drop any points we missed a chance to pick up a bunch. The other thing that hurt us was drawing a non-FIFA opponent in the Gold Cup (Martinique I think). That is a high value competition where we could have potentially gained a bunch of points.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post: