View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 04:49 AM   #463
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

United just put the(ir) new CRJ550 into service.

It's a CRJ700 but configured with 50 seats rather than 70. 10 first/business class, 20 economy plus, and 20 economy. It also has several luggage closets and large bins to eliminate the need for gate checked baggage.

Seems like a neat idea.

However knowing the economics for the CRJ200 are fairly poor, would the economics of the CRJ550 be much better?

United is betting on getting more international business travel commencing at the regional airports (and flipping the first/last leg of the journey from cramped economy to luxury first).

This makes me wonder if a jet like this could work in the now lacking 50 seat category in Canada.

Perhaps its immediacy bias, as my local airport went from 4-5 Dash 8 flights to/from Halifax a day on Air Canada to 2 on a Q400. This renders the schedule horrific as you can either leave in the morning to get your connections west, fly overnight on the way home to make the morning/afternoon Atlantic time, or spending n extra night in a hotel.

Could the 550 make sense for Air Canada's regional partners? Would airports like Medicine Hat, London and Sydney benefit from this while still making economic sense for AC?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote