View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #1743
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
They’re cheap in the sense of very reluctant to spend the money they have when it could mean the difference.
I dunno, I get the skittishness... AA had added a lot of money with little in the way of results at that time (2012: Payroll $83,739,200.00 - 2014 Payroll: $137,177,700.00) I think the team faceplanting after the Marlins and Dickey trades cost AA a lot of leeway with the money managers. And the thing about Rogers is that they're a corporation... they own the team to be a business that creates content and revenue for their networks, they're not an owner who owns the team as a vanity project. So they're rarely going to go hog wild in any particular off-season because corporations don't have egos... they have quarterly shareholder reports.

That's why Boras rags on the Jays more then most... because his sometimes M.O. is to bypass GM's and convince the vainglorious owner to dump a bunch of money on his guy. If he tried to bypass the Jays F.O. and go to Rogers the guy he'd get ahold of on the other line would say "who the eff are you?" and then refer him back to the Jays F.O. because he has telecommunication networks to manage. Maybe he'd get a hold of Eddie but the rest of the Board would probably just ask for the business case and it won't be there.

Last edited by Parallex; 10-15-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post: