View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #635
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched part one of the Food that made America on the history channel. Episode 1 covered Kellogs, Coke and Heinz

Really interesting to watch and some things that came out of it

Kellogs - John Kellogs ran the sanitarium while his brother worked behind the scenes, he wanted to make money by selling cereal but John refused believing his brother to be an idiot. The sanitarium burned down and the brothers had a falling out as Robert bought the recipes and left.

CW Post - was a guest at the Kellog's sanitarium who actually stole the receipies and notes and started post cereal.

Heinze - went bankrupt but came across the idea of a tomato based sauce to cover the smell and taste of rotten meat. A true gambler and innovator who was the first to use electricity to power his factory and created assembly lines before Henry Ford. Was a key mover in finding the FDA to destroy his competitors.

Coke - invented by John Pemberton a wounded civil war veteran who was looking for a replacement for his morphine addiction. He accidentally invented coke and then reverse engineered his own formula. Desparate for money he partnered up with Asa Candler. When Pemberton died of stomach cancer, Asa bought the remaining 1/3rd of coke from the family for $600.00. Completely ruthless he was one of the first national distributors of a food product. Later tried to scrub Pemberton from history. Ran afoul of the FDA due to caffeine level in coke, thanks to Henry Heinze.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: