View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not sure where to put this question, so this seems like a reasonable spot...

Regarding LTIR, is it correct that LTIR overages are included in the league totals when determining HRR? The reason I ask is that there are going to be several teams over the cap this year (including their LTIR), Much more than in past years, IMO. If the totals include the overages, then the total salaries this year are going to blow the HRR number out of the water. That will mean that escrow will be ginormous. Which will piss off the players.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
If I understand what you're asking, yes.

All money paid to all players while on NHL rosters (including time spent in the AHL on a conditioning assignment and time spent on the IR) is included when calculating the players' share of revenue.

Also, that calculation is made using the actual money owed to the players during the season, not the cap hit.

----------

If you look at CapFriendly right now, the Leafs total cap commitments for a 23 man roster with 4 players expected to start the season on LTIR are almost $95 million. They are cap compliant because of the LTIR, but those players still will get their share of the players' share of HRR.

Even worse though, the Leafs "Estimated Salary Expenditure" (i.e. the actual money they'll be paying their players this season) is over $113 million. That is almost $32 million above the cap, and $42.5 million above the salary midpoint that is supposed to be the average team payroll.

That's all before the season actually starts and real player injuries start adding up.