Thread: Building A Home
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #23
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would take online reviews with a grain of salt. Generally speaking, people only give a review when they are angry and I know very few people who were especially happy with the building process. Unrealistic expectations and how issues are handled are the primary sources of frustration. As pointed out above, your site manager is the person you need to care about the most. Build a positive relationship with this person as they have a lot of say over the process.

My only real advice is to try your best not to get too emotionally involved. I know it's hard, but this is a business transaction pure and simple. The salespeople and the company just want your money. They will pull at your heartstrings in an attempt to make more profit because they make more bonuses/commission. In other words, you need to be a bit of a dick, unfortunately. Well, don't be afraid to advocate for yourself at least.

Lastly, don't assume that the City inspectors are working on your behalf. They know most of the site managers personally and minimum code is notoriously weak.

I realize that a lot of the posts here have a negative tone to them, but don't let that dissuade you from building. I have done it a couple of times and really enjoyed the process most of the time. There are soul-sucking parts, but I found the process to be really interesting. Just keep your expectations in check.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post: