View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #165
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You can't honestly believe that having a 4 year liberal arts degree gives you superior experience than actually working? There are plenty of industries that cross over. Things like writing skills, which can be industry specific, can also cross over between industries. In fact many skills can.

For example, in my legal career I use the should I learned from my part time retail job at Telus all the time. I worked this job during my third year of law school, and use the information and skills I learned there far more than anything I learned in my third year of law school.

University also doesn't necessarily create well rounded people. Many of the people from various programs end up as carbon copies of each other with little to no actual life experience.

In the age of the internet and free and accessible knowledge, University isn't what it used to be.

You get what you pay for. If it's free, it's likely very low value. There is a reason university libraries pay for access to peer-reviewed journals. They are of high value, so there is a cost associated with that information.

I certainly do not agree that free internet knowledge is the same thing as carefully cultivated curricula from scholars that have experience in that field.

To your other points: Sure, experience of ANY kind is valuable, so of course you can learn some things from the workplace. I did myself before I ever went back to school, so I have to concede that point. It doesn't make education NOT valuable.

I don't understand your third paragraph. It seems like a bit of a non-sequitur. Obviously, it depends on the school and the kind of courses one takes, but generally speaking, universities give a more balanced education than a trade school does. That's all I'm saying.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: