View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #162
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
See, I totally disagree with your last point.

The modern economy requires flexibility. Many young people entering the work force now will have 3 to 5 different careers. Note, I didn't say jobs, but entirely different careers. I myself am already on my 3rd one and I'm not yet 40. University education creates people who are very well-rounded and can adapt to a changing market place. When one job goes away due to automation, they can transfer their variety of skills and knowledge to other fields and still be successful with a small amount of additional training.

You are advocating for industry-specific, or even job-specific, training and education, which is great for that one job or industry, but what happens when the economy shifts and you only have one very specific set of skills? You will struggle to find work, or the work you get will be very low skill and low paying.

Basically you end up as Michael Scott when he quits his job as the manager of a paper company. What does he do next for work? He starts his own paper company, mostly because he doesn't know how to do anything else.
I sure wish I took whatever you took because I didn't learn #### all in my four years of undergrad.

Unless you mean shotgunning beer.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post: