View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #239
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripin_billie View Post
I'm glad it's not just me that feels like it is insanely cold here in the winter. Temperature wise, it's nothing compared to Calgary, but whenever I'm back in Calgary during winter, I feel like at -15 it still feels warmer than DC at +1 to about +5. I think it would be better if it would just get below freezing and snow, but instead it hovers right above and rains. Brutal!

I feel like Calgary has unique style needs in that whenever I'm there in the winter, I notice people keep their homes freaking hot! So you have to have clothes that are ok for super cold weather and also work for being in a house that's like 26!

Getting back to the original question of this thread and shorts. Even in DC where it is disgustingly humid and hot for about 5-6 months of the year, you very rarely, I mean exceedingly rarely, ever see men wear shorts to work. But then again, the city is pretty conservative in it's fashion choices too.

I guess a lot of the advice in this thread needs to be taken for what city you live in and industry you work in. Advice for San Francisco (I was shocked at how informal people dressed for downtown work there) probably won't work in Calgary.

I mean, shorts in a workplace seems to be something I'd love, but alas, definitely a career limiter where I work.
This times 100!

When I tried to explain this to my coworkers in DC, they'd be confused, or would tell me "you guys are probably just used to the cold weather more up on Canada."

But back to style. You're right in that style varies widely depending where you live. In DC, casual work wear means chinos or dress pants, a dress shirt and Oxford, derby or loafer shoes. Some of my coworkers would also wear ties. When it's really hot out, you can get away with wearing a polo shirt with your dress pants. Even on the weekend, people would generally "dress up" just for going out for a stroll in Georgetown or the waterfront. I found that I stopped purchasing jeans when I was out there and only had one pair of sneakers.

I moved back to Calgary in November and quickly realized that I need to go a bit more casual with my wardrobe, especially for after work. So I'm back to buying jeans and t shirts the last few months.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post: