View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #1365
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I think it's become more evident that Haiti is not a minnow. They took Mexico, the confederation's best by a large margin, to extra time last night. Oddly enough, they did it with a Canadian CB in the starting lineup....

I will also argue that right now, CPL players (de Jong the exception) should be nowhere near the national team. The standard of play in the league is simply not good enough right now to produce players that can play for the national team. The standard of play will rise in the future, but it will not do so quickly. Not to mention I don't think there is much appetite for the consumer to bear the costs that come with the level of play rising rapidly as it has in MLS.

I think there are a few players who should be in consideration for the youth teams though. And I think there are some players who may have a shot with the national team in the future, but they would have to move on to better leagues to do so.
Just to clarify I wasn’t calling Haiti a minnow. I was saying the only teams we have been playing regularly is minnows so we weren’t prepared to play a decent team such as Haiti.