View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #148
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Something that came out recently that I wasn't aware of, and I don't think many others are:

@reporterchris
"Important note on offer sheets: NHL teams that have already traded their 2020 1st-round pick are still eligible to tender a max offer using the 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 picks.

So -- cap space issues aside -- every team technically has the ability to do one on July 1."

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/st...641397761?s=09

Its always previously been discussed as if the need next year's picks or you can't do it. I guess you can defer the picks.
I simply don't understand how anyone can justify not picking in the 1st round for an entire Olympic cycle in the cap era. A player may be worth three 1st round picks in one year - 6, 22 and 28 for 1 is expensive, but you can recover from it, especially if the result is Nathan MacKinnon.

No 1sts for four years means you not only cannot add cheap young talent to your organization, you can't make a major addition at the deadline for four years, you can't be in on any other stars that may come available, and have to augment your roster almost exclusively through UFA signings.

This isn't basketball. No one player is able to change fortunes that dramatically. Keep the assets and find another way.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post: