View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #813
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Not following the Jays as close as usual, but can anyone tell me why the Jays wouldn't be re-signing Stroman?

They have zero pitching depth, he wants to be there, he's performing well and he's only 28 and will still likely be quite productive when the young core is more competitive in 3 or 4 years... also they have almost no committed payroll after Tulo, Martin and Morales deals dry up. Why not lock him up and make him a leader for the rebuild instead of committing a big chunk of the money in 13 mil a year to a guy like Grichuk?

They'll trade a good 200 inning guy for a couple lotto tickets... seems like the prospects teams are willing to move in those deals rarely pan out, makes no sense to me... but like I said not following them closely.

This is just my opinion, but I think there are two main reasons:

1. He's created a rift with management based on his continual twitter rants and comments. IIRC several times he's been quite critical of some of their decisions. Fair for him to feel that way, quite another to air it publicly IMO.

2. He says he wants to be in TO, but are his contract demands in line with that? He's a solid pitcher, really good mid rotation guy. But is he asking for top of the rotation money? If so they should maximize his value on the trade front and save that money for legit top of the rotation starters when they eventually come out of the wood work.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: