View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #405
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
It really does, and that's what I loved about it the most. As Westerners, we're so used to seeing people being held accountable for their actions. It's not perfect, but the system here is designed to look out for the betterment of society as a whole. Not for organizations to 'save face'. The concept of an entity like the KGB being able to muffle the truth is just so foreign to us. Pretty much our attitude is ''why can't we all just tell the truth and get along''.

But it's not like that over there, even to this day. My girlfriend is Ukrainian so we watched it together, as I also wanted to know her perspective on it. To her a cover up like that was just 'business as usual' for that time. The truth wasn't what happened. The 'truth' is what was recorded (often under the threat of harm), and what ended up on paper at the bosses desk is what happened.

She also said little tiny details would have been accurate for that time. For example, when they announced on the loudspeakers what was happening, is accurate to what would have been said. The small apartments are how it would have been (and still are). Little tiny details made the show so good.

One thing we both agreed on is that while the actors were all phenomenal and having the dialogue in english made it easy to understand, it would have made it more authentic if they could have used Russian/Ukrainian actors and spoke Ukrainian. It was strange hearing some kind of British accent, and none of the actors looked Slavic.

Still, not much to complain about. Also there should have been a seperate thread since Chernobyl seems to have taken over this thread. But hard not to keep the conversation going when you have such an awesome show to talk about!
I believe they're considered 'West-Russians' at the moment.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 06-05-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote