View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #93
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Thanks. Your equally weird, I suppose, appreciation of that one (1) goal in the entire month of February is also great work. That goal was a beauty.

The guy had a 3 game stretch with 6 goals, including 2 very productive games, Vegas and NYR, where he got 5.

There are what, about 30 games after the all star break?

Just because the other top players crapped the bed doesn’t entitle Tkachuk to be paid like them. That’s weird, too, man. Derek Ryan was a better player than Tkachuk post all star break.

I’m not saying the power dynamic is totally one sided, but that’s the whole point of how RFA status can close the gap. At some point, the ‘R’ means you have limitations on the leverage.

All of the other situations with top dollar contracts that people mention, it is desperate GMs like Chiarelli who has to put *something* on the ice , same in Buffalo, and Toronto is nuts and Dubas is green.

It’s obvious to me. You don’t back up the truck to a RFA. Yes, you pay him fairly, but you don’t over pay beyond what is necessary
1 goal in February. Almost as impressive as Gaudreau’s 1 goal. Should we trade Gaudreau? Having 1 goal in February just seems like a really big deal, I want to make sure we’re reacting accordingly across the board.

I mean yeah, 30 games after the all star break. Better be spreading those points out. But, wait... didn’t...

...Gaudreau score 3/7 of his post ASG goals in one game?
...Monahan score half of his 20 points in 3 games, and 4/7 goals in just 2 games?

It’s almost like it’s just a thing that happens. Quick, nobody tell Barkov that his impressive 18 post ASG goals don’t mean as much because 7 of them came in 3 games. Or hey Pasternak, thanks for potting 11, but 5 came in 2 games, so please be better while your team is on their way to the Stanley Cup finals.

The argument is not that other players crapped the bed, so Tkachuk should be paid like them. It’s that bringing up his drop off is irrelevant, because it wasn’t isolated. It’s bringing context. Yeah, Tkachuk scores less, but he alone didn’t fall off a cliff, and in fact, did very well post ASG when you look at the Flames as a whole.

Yeah, I wish it were as simple as “this GM is dumb, that one is green” etc. It’s not. These guys might make these decisions, but if you don’t think they set precedent for the rest of the league then you’re not paying attention. Again: the league does not go backwards, it goes forwards. You do not change what has already been done.

In the end, “more than necessary” is something all of us agree should be avoided in contract AAV. The debate is around the definition of “necessary,” and while i’d love to believe your definition is right, I think it’s a bit naive. But I really do hope it is.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 05-26-2019 at 11:30 AM.