View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #255
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
So, the argument from Bingo here is that Bennett is an above average 3rd liner.

You would think if that was the case he would be producing goals per 60 at an above average rate, considering he played 24% of his minutes with the 2nd line on the 2nd best offensive team in the league.

Primary assists per 60 is higher than I expected, but it's tough to gauge without seeing the players that surround him on that list from other teams.

Just as a cursory glance, Bennett would've been 10th on the Sharks in points and i'm assuming points per 60 based on Sorenson scoring more in less average minutes.

He would've finished 7th on the bruins in points but i'm not sure of his point per 60 finish.

He would've finished 9th on Winnipeg between Copp and Lowry.

He would've finished behind Burakovsky for 10th on the caps. Roslovic would be right there with him despite averaging a couple minutes less per game.

Are all these guys above average 3rd liners?

I just don't see it. I see a guy getting ample opportunity and not producing as much as guys given lesser opportunity.

The Flames were the 2nd highest scoring team in the league this year, so how does Bennett compare to his own teammates?

Transplant's point about him being not great defensively is a big factor. How many guys can legitimately be considered above average 3rd line players and not kill penalties? Why doesn't he kill penalties? Because there are better bottom 6 options to do it? That there are actually at least 3 better bottom 6 options to kill penalties than bennett? Is that a notch in the 'above average' column?

Is it even possible to be an above average third liner if you don't play a single second of short handed icetime over the final 40 games of the season?

Frozen tools says Bennett scores the same goals per 60 as jankowski, scores less assists per 60 than Janko, less points per 60 than Janko but more shots per 60.

Does that mean Jankowski is also an above average 3rd liner? Jankowski also kills penalties.

In my opinion, of course Jankowski isn't an above average 3rd liner, and he's not better than Bennett. So what's Bennett?

Take out Quine and Bennett was the 10th best forward in points per 60 on the Flames this year at 1.7. Czarnik was 1.8.

Tied for 9th with Hathaway in goals per 60. 11th in Assists per 60, behind Dube.

These do not scream above average 3rd liner to me. The suggest an excellent 4th liner though. Tied for 9th in goals per 60 with Hathaway again does not scream above average third liner. Suggests perhaps a top tier 4th liner though. We all can acknowledge Hathaway is a 4th line player, right?

If you gave Roslovic 13 minutes a game instead of 10, he'd be right there with Bennett. I don't think Roslovic is an above average 3rd liner.

You could probably convince me that Bennett is a 3rd line player on a contending roster in a good year.

But if you can't trust him defensively, and he can't kill penalties, just how good of a 3rd liner could he possibly be?
So you're willing to just ignore straight math and type out a monster post naming glamorous third liners?

What's the point.

I've dug into every stat you suggested and he keeps coming up third line plus. I stripped away the bottom 21 teams and he comes up third line plus.

You're like the guy dropping a pencil on the floor over and over again and screaming you don't believe in gravity.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: