View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #254
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
"All Clear/Situation Over" alerts are sent out so that people stop calling in with their various tips. Something like an Amber Alert generates A LOT of work for PD/PSAP's in the area that it's in effect for, as many people call in everything they can remember or think or might possibly maybe somehow in some slim random manner may be related. The All Clear puts an end to the majority of these.
I wasn't questioning the need for an all clear, I was questioning whether it makes sense to wake people up for it.
Quote:
It's pushed out in the same manner as the original warning so that it reaches the same audience reached before, and doesn't "miss" anyone.
This doesn't make sense. As you point out above, the need for the "all clear" is so that people stop sending in tips. If I'm asleep, I was not among those sending in tips. In other words, the audience for the "all clear" does not need to be the same as the audience for the original message.

Moreover, if you are sending in tips, you do not need an alarm to accompany an all clear message. You are already paying attention. The message itself is all that's needed.

It appears that the issue with the system as it is is not being able to change the delivery method to suit the message that's being delivered. If they can't choose whether to omit the loud noises from the message, that seems like a flaw that should be addressed, if possible.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: