View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
He had 30 starts, not 32. The concern is that a goalie can get hot for 30 games. See Hammond, Andrew. So that might have given voters hesitation at the time they voted, which was before the playoffs - I would say the playoffs have probably erased some doubts about his ability to keep his level high but the voters didn't have that information at the time.

The other issue is that rookie goalies getting the calder have in the past fizzled out - the last two have been Mason and Raycroft, and before that Nabokov who ended up being a good starter but not a star. So I think voters are gun shy on goalies in general.
I said 32 games played in. He came in relief for a couple games. Even 30 is pretty good for a rookie.

I get all your points, but surely any rookie can get hot for a season, or even put up enough points in a portion of a season (usually the beginning or in garbage time) to get consideration. Tyler Myers has never equaled his rookie year points-wise. I mean, the award is for the player who has the best rookie season, not who is going to be the best player (see no wins for Crosby/McDavid/Iginla).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote