View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #168
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is fair to call out some legitimate concerns. Even Shermanator has expressed some disappointment in some of their decisions over the past few months. But I totally respect all of the time and energy that he and all of the very serious supporters have put in to ensure a healthy supporters culture. The pub and bus plans are a prime example.

But I am definitely getting excited now. A pretty decent TV deal, a streaming deal that will be free initially (and hopefully competitive priced after that), the stand at Spruce Meadows is going up, and there is a definite buzz with everything kicking off this weekend. Just wild to think that this thing that seemed nearly impossible a few years ago is ready to launch.

The league seems to understand some of the key things that will give it the best chance of success: soccer-specific stadiums where possible, TV and streaming is a must, cultivate a supporters culture, don't pretend to be an MLS clone, the league's marketing is pretty modern and on-point, etc. I still find the split season a bit odd, but I also understand the rationale behind it and I am willing to give it a chance. And I do worry that the Cavalry front office missed the mark on pricing and that will start showing up as empty seats after the novelty of the first few matches wears off. But prove me wrong - I'd love the place to be full and bringing in the maximum possible revenue.

The best part is that this is really just a blank canvas. Things will evolve. The club and league will learn from their mistakes and will hopefully adapt quickly. We've come a long way from dropping a team like the Mustangs onto football lines in a nearly empty McMahon and then wondering why nobody came to watch. Our starting point is much better than ever before for something like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: