View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #280
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Is it a false sense of security if it would have prevented the crashes?
No, but you (nor anybody) knows if it would have prevented Lion Air given that they were fighting a system they didn't know existed. I liked it better when people had an acronym to go after for all the blame, i.e. MCAS. I don't see how knowing there was an AOA disagree would have made a difference.

It is a false sense of security because my mother no longer shoulder checks and relies on the damn yellow light in the mirror of her unnecessarily fancy car to determine if there is a car in her blindspot. We've already seen similar false senses of security result in crashes with crews that lack basic airmanship, i.e. Asiana at SFO. That airplane crashed because the glideslope was u/s and the pilots didn't know how to manually fly their airplane. Neither the probable cause of the accident nor the contributing factors blamed SFO for the glideslope being u/s. They blamed the pilots for being tired and not knowing how to fly the airplane.

Don't forget AF447. Transat glider. Advanced Airbus planes that told the crew what was wrong and they still screwed up with fatal consequences. The notion that either of these things would make a difference is a misunderstanding of what has historically caused planes to crash.

Last edited by Acey; 03-22-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post: