View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #270
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My 2 cents....I think this talk about about either Boeing charging for certain features, or airlines not paying for them, is a bit of red herring.

The problem with the MAX is about an inaccurate risk analysis, and a system which appears it may have been designed incorrectly.

It isn’t because there are, always have been, and always will be a variety of options. Much like cars.

Technology changes, which improves certain systems, or makes other systems unnecessary. Part of the equation is cost, of course, in relation to what actual benefit there is. And there is also reliability, and real world usefulness.

I would compare a direct AOA readout to having an oil pressure gauge in your car that that has digital display down to tenths of a psi. A gauge that shows if it is high or low, or a light that tells you, is almost always sufficient. But if there was an odd situation where the ability to notice a 0.3 psi drop in oil pressure might be indicative of another system malfunction, then the more expensive and detailed gauge might be useful. But most of the time it would make no difference.

Now how many people have chosen only cars that have a digital oil pressure display, and paid extra to get that?

I can assure you that WestJet and Air Canada are not reluctant at all to spend huge amounts of money on safety equipment, or to upgrade current equipment.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post: