View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #267
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
You seem knowledgeable in this area, and I'm sure you have good intentions. But you are obviously extremely biased in your support of how Boeing, the NA airlines, and the NA regulators handled this. All of the handled it terribly and they all have a lot of work to do to convince people that their MAX planes are safe to board. And no, this isn't media bias, this is how those 3 parties acted every step of the way.
Which response are you referring to, the one about the tweet, or re: Fuzz's post about whether these optional features making a difference in either of the two crashes?

Either way, I don't think I was being biased, at least not intentionally. The FAA issued an airworthiness directive after the Lion Air crash, which required Boeing (by law) to disclose info about MCAS to every MAX operator. To suggest they didn't tell one operator cause of how much money they spent on the plane is just silly.

I have been biased towards Boeing in some of my posts, yeah, but I also happen to be a big fan of due process. Being familiar with aviation, I'm hardwired to point out misinformation. Can't explain why, lol.

How is it biased of me to say that the tweet is misleading, when it says Boeing didn't warn Ethiopian Airlines about MCAS simply because they didn't pay extra for the options.

I didn't say that NA airlines/pilots are perfect either. That comment about pilots potentially missing the spinning trim wheel was just a general comment, not referring to third-world airlines - in fact, it was Ryan Coke (a WestJet pilot) who pointed that out to me in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
This is a terrible, revolting response. You are seriously blaming low cost carriers for not spending enough to get the planes that don't crash themselves?

There is no equivalent critical safety option in cars, and it is disingenuous to even suggest that.
I didn't say I blame them. I'm just informing him on why we have a situation where safety features like this are paid upgrades.

It's cause Boeing wants to make a fast buck.

Do I agree with the practice? Heck no. Those things should absolutely be standard. The FAA should be doing more to make these types of safety features required by law. Their reach is limited to the US, but most of the world would follow their lead if they went that far, IMO anyway.

Last edited by Stealth22; 03-21-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote