View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #1991
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think that once the playoffs start they have to give the ball to one guy and let him run with it. If he falters, the other guy gets his chance and then either succeeds or fails. That has essentially been the history of playoff goaltending for the last couple decades; I think it repeats itself in April.

At this point, I am not especially confident in either of the Flames goalies, and think that the margin separating them is small enough that it won't particularly matter who is in goal in Game #1. I find myself feeling a little more confident with Rittich in goal now, but not much more than when Smith plays.

I think the Flames can and will win their first round matchup with either goalie. But one of them needs to make a strong statement for the team to move beyond Round #2.

A hot goalie is more or less the key formula for any championship calibre team. I'm not sure how a team can force that into existence, but they do have some leeway. In the last 4 playoffs the champion team has split some of the games between two goalies. That being said, there is usually a clear number one. I am not a fan of arguing what the coach should do, but I think that in terms of game management, the time to ease Rittich in is over. Its green lights to give him the remainder of the season after this next back to back. I'd like to see what he can do.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote