View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #150
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In light of some of the discussion in the Fluoride thread about the Flat-Earth documentary "Behind the Curve" on Netlfix, I highly recommend it.

Other than the insanity of the lunatics who believe the earth is flat and the impressive mental gymnastics required to hold that belief, I thought it was well done.

It really outlines well their theories and the lengths they'll go to prove them and ignore all evidence that exists outside of what they want to see.

It also touches on mainstream scientist's unwillingness to engage with these groups and disprove their beliefs which has in turn solidified these people into a unified lunatic fringe, and some of these people are unhinged and some are in it because in this movement they've managed to transform themselves into the King of the Crazy People.

That being said, I dont feel it did enough to really hammer home the fact that mainstream science is at a gross disadvantage in this because they can engage these groups rationally and disprove their very tenuous theories, but as with most conspiracy groups they just find another work-around to arrive at their desired conclusion.

So mainstream scientists, as it were, are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Brilliant stuff though. I had to pause it several times because I missed bits while I was busy laughing.
I have a lot of questions after watching this. I also agree that this was well done and it wasn't just piling on and saying "can you believe how dumb these people are?!" or anything like that. I did like that they at least put out both sides of the "debate". I don't know if I could point to a particular favorite moment, because there are a number of hilarious parts. I also don't want to spoil this for people who have yet to see it. I did think that it was hilarious that people think that Patricia is in the CIA because the last three letters of her name are CIA though!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote