View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #1678
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post

It's funny that this video references Roman Polanski. Where's his video for that guy considering he never really stopped working?.
Wow, that is a pretty remarkable stretch of whataboutism.

What does ones opinion on the merits of certain type of comedy have to do with Polanski?

Plus it's eight years (?) since Polanski released a film, so I would count that as "has stopped working."

But.
Here. Although I'm sure you've read it already, given that it's trivially available with Google, and obviously you think it is super relevant.

I don't see this as relevant. (Especially since it's a decade old, and people's opinions might change in that time.)

(Personally I find the noise people make about Polanski to be really hypocritical. Polanski was just one guy doing exactly the same thing as guys like Bowie, Iggy Pop and others in the seventies. The LA baby groupie scene quite famously groomed underaged girls to be the sex toys of stars, and there were a lot of people in on that.

To me, focusing on Polanski is a sort of outsourced evil, that helps people pretend they're making a stand while actually mostly ignoring the issue. Because outside of few radical feminists, I've seen no one demand that we treat David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck, Marc Bolan, Alice Cooper, Robert Plant and Iggy Pop the way people want Polanski treated.

Now, I think there are valid arguments to not judge people for what they did decades ago, and valid reasons to judge them. Boycott them for all I care.

But I would like people to stop picking and choosing when it comes to making those judgments. If you think we need to keep talking about Polanskis crime, then you should also want to make noise about David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck, Marc Bolan, Alice Cooper, Robert Plant and Iggy Pop.

Just because Polanski happened to be the one put on trial shouldn't really make a difference when it comes to moral judgment.

Last edited by Itse; 01-27-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote