View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #1462
Bs&Cs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

-the way South Center mall was back in the mid 90's, they had petting zoos once in a while. Saw Lion King at the old movie theatre in there.
-Video Spot in the strip mall in Willow Park, on Fairmount Drive. I think its a Sobey's now. Disney movies and NES rentals for cheap. The DQ in that mall only served ice cream and I think it was closed in the winter. Willy's was in the corner of that parking lot, and I think it was a Chicken on the Way at one point too.
-Used to go to the 7-11 on Fairmount, in the summer with my mom on the way to the video store. I think its an A-1 now but it was a pet hospital at one time.
-Red Robin, which was my favorite place to go as a kid. The one on Macleod.
-Along with the Calgary Zoo. I still see fragments of it as I remember it, the lion and tiger enclosures are the same, but I miss the old buildings. The reptile, primate, australian houses. And of course the polar bears. It seemed much bigger and had more stuff than it does now,
-Chuck-E-Cheese, when it was over off 32nd. Creepy old singing robots. Kind of run down but was always pretty fun.
-Tee-to-Green in Shawnessy with the enormous golf ball. We lived with our house backing onto the CP rail tracks... and thats all there was there. Used to collect golf balls from the driving range .
-Shawnessy/Midlake when it was just a regular four way intersection. Had friends in Midnapore and Shawnessy and would just ride back and forth now, but crossing Macleod always seemed scary. Traffic was very light then tough, as Sundance and Sommerset/Bridlewood were the end of the city. I remember having to leave the city to get to Spruce Meadows.
-Easy Street and Bonkers were big at the time, thats where all the birthday parties were. Easy Street was in Chinook where the food court is now, no?
-10th Street NW looked so different even fifteen years ago. Loved the used books stores on that strip, they're all gone now. McNally Books on Stephen Ave was one of my favorites too.
-and the dump of a Zellers at the 4 Street/Center Street corner, its a superstore now. That Zellers was such a dump, seemed like no one even worked there. I remember playing hockey in there with a buddy a few times waiting for our girlfriends to get out of Diefenbaker and never getting harrassed about it. My sister shoplifted from there endlessly because

Last edited by Bs&Cs; 01-25-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: I wasn't done haha
Bs&Cs is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bs&Cs For This Useful Post: