View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The fact McDavid is in on over 50% of their goals is more an indictment of how poor their secondary scoring is. If there was a stat for points per minutes played he would drop below a lot of players because the Oilers play him 23 minutes per game out of necessity. I would hope any intelligent voter would realize that. Gaudreau is also involved in a high percentage of Flames goals and the difference is that the Flames have considerably better scoring depth.
I’ve seen lots of people spouting this reason for why McDavid is better - “he’s been in on 53% of their goals.”, etc.

Why do we reward a player in voting simply because the rest of their team is worse? That doesn’t make sense.

Admittedly, McDavid is the best player in the league on the rush - handling the puck at speed. However, once the puck is in the zone, Gaudreau and others are better.

A bunch of players are more effective in scoring points in the time they have on the ice. Frankly, McDavid plays too many minutes. I’ve watched quite a bit of Oilers games this year, thanks to having an Oiler fan wife. McDavid floats around at half speed LOTS of the time. Half speed McDavid isn’t particularly scary. If he played less minutes, he could probably be more effective in those minutes.