View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Johnny Gaudreau for the Hart Trophy

We're past the halfway point of the season, and it looks like Johnny Gaudreau is making a pretty strong case for the Hart Trophy.

The Hart Memorial Trophy, which basically goes to the league MVP, has existed since 1923. It is somewhat surprising that no Flame has ever won it. Jarome Iginla probably should have won it during the 2001-2002 season. Of course we all know what happened that year.

The league's top 5 scorers at the moment:

1. Nikita Kucherov - 75 points
2. Mikko Rantanen - 68 points
3. Johnny Gaudreau - 67 points
3. Connor McDavid - 67 points
5. Nathan MacKinnon - 66 points

Then there's a bit of a gap. Point is next with 61 points. Kane has 60.
There's also some talk for Ovechkin, since he leads the league in goals.

I have a feeling that Rantanen and MacKinnon will cancel each other out in terms of votes. Unless one of them separates themselves, I don't see either of them winning. There's also a chance that Colorado will miss the playoffs.

McDavid may be the best player offensively, but the Oilers are no good. I could see McDavid winning if the Oilers squeak into the playoffs and McDavid leads the league in points. But those are two big ifs.

Beyond that, I think it goes down to Kucherov or Gaudreau. Kucherov currently has quite a few more points than anyone else, but Tampa is a fantastic team with a lot of high-end depth. Calgary also has good high-end skill, but you could argue that the Flames need Gaudreau more than the Lightning need Kucherov.

I honestly think Giordano should also been in the Hart conversation, but I don't see that happening.

Do you think he'll win it?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote