View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #147
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I can't remember who I was listening to recently, but I think it was Brent Krahn or maybe Hrudey who estimated something huge like 90% of a goalies game is upstairs. Once that confidence and coolness is shot it can go downhill fast. It seems to work the other way too.
Agreed, speaking from my own experience, it's all about the right mind set and being able to sustain it for the full lenght of a game. Great goalie never worry about letting in a goal. On the contrary, he is welcoming a high danger chance in front of him as an opportunity to show your worth and steal some spotlight for himself. But even if you have that, there will be moments in the game when it's hard to not be overwhelmed by circumstances. For example a PK late in the third, being up by one while your best D is sitting in the box. Those are defining moments for a goaltender. Coming up huge when your team needs it the most, but at the same time do not make any difference in how you play and think, despite the scoreline or time left on the clock. It's easier said than done.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote