View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #80
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So,an update on this...I tried the Deco 5, Linksys Velop 6600, Netgear Orbi, and the Amplifi HD.
In my house, part of this project was to move the router to the basement corner by the ps4. This would of course cover the basement, but my 4K tv is on the top floor above the garage, with that TV against an outside wall that the signal has to go through. I have a large house, so this posed a problem for the routers and a lot of moving around the nodes to figure out the best places to put them.
For the Orbi this was particularly tough because there was only one satellite, and it's fugly, so it had to be hidden somewhat. I would setup, do a bunch of speed tests throughout the house both in a low usage situation, and then with everything running. The 4k tv streaming a 4k movie. The other tv streaming HD. The other TV playing zwift. All the sonos devices playing music. My iphone streaming youtube. I'd test under these conditions, which are extreme for my household. And then recorded everything.
In the End, the winner was the Amplifi HD. It was the only one that had consistent speeds throughout all of my house.
The Deco 5 was easy setup, but didn't have enough range and gave the slowest speeds.
The Orbi was also easy setup and while it gave the fastest speeds in the same room, the drop off was huge going to the other side of the house. I attribute this to only 1 satellite. It needed another on the main floor.
The Velop setup was long. Way longer than the others, but initially, I thought this was it, I had service throughout the house, even though I thought the app sucked. But the next day, it was disconnected, which meant more time mucking around with this thing. I found it to be finicky, and I don't have time for that. I don't doubt it works. But I had spent enough time with it for my liking.
The Amplifi HD, worked. It setup easy, and provides good consistent service throughout the house. It dropped off less when I did my version of a load test. The key was getting the meshpoints to show a 100% connected. Even if I had 80%, I found getting them to 100% made a huge difference. The app is nice and simple. No child controls though, which is a disappointment. I think this device worked best for us because of the meshpoints. My wife didn't mind them, and I could place them anywhere in the house to try and maximize signal. It allowed for a lot more versatility. Where with the Velop and Deco 5, I had to put the mainfloor node in the office, I could put the amplifi meshpoint in the hallway outside the office.
I got it for $390 for the router and two meshpoints on black friday at memoryexpress. Thanks for everyone's input.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post: