View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #829
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
the arena economic arguments are useless at this stage and in this situation. If we currently had no arena and no team, then it would be worth the debate. If you want to tell me that moving the arena two blocks north of the dome will allow mean that moxie's and boston pizza can open next door and be packed on game nights, i won't argue very hard...though i will ask how much more money than present will really end up back in the local economy?

Although it's not currently as convenient, at least most of the restaurants in proximity to the saddledome are locally owned. I think a new arena would see an increase in the total number of people dining out before/after games, but a higher proportion of that money will go to big chains. The overall impact to the local economy will be marginal.

i believe the flames can continue to operate profitably in the saddledome for another 20+ years. i also believe they could operate more profitably in a new arena. Kind of like any other business in the world...increasing profitability involves investment and risk. I am more than willing to call their bluff...i'll pack their bags and hold the door open for them if they want to leave. But i know there are a lot of things that would have to happen before that became a reality...and if they did, it would mean that the situation isn't viable without a massive handout, which imo, means it simply isn't viable.
LOL. Everyone has an opinion and I'm fine with people opposing the arena but at least be a little realistic. The Naussau Coliseum is only 12 years older than the Dome and you expect the Saddledome to outlast that building by over a decade? Come on man get real.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-18-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote