View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #964
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Hmm, I'm not a tax expert but I'm wondering if it would be considered tax evasion.

I'm not talking about keeping things like federal taxes collected in Alberta, nor EI/CPP, etc., just the Equalization payments. I don't think that's part of the tax structure, but I could be wrong.

We need to draw a line in the sand. The equalization thing has been ridiculous for decades (placating Quebec so that they stay in Canada). Now it's just plain stupid, and they're not willing to give us a break given the economic situation in Alberta.

Yeah I'm not an expert either but I know we write checks that say "equalization" to the federal government. We send them our federal income tax and they ship it back as equalization as they see fit. We don't get as much back as other provinces for several reasons. A large part of it is because our tax rates are lower here so we have more potential to raise our own money through taxing our citizens and businesses more and keeping more of our own money here. What I don't know much about are specifics like how resource revenue is considered.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote