View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #93
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I think you're making my comment out to be more antagonistic than it is, by using phrases such as '**** the middle class' and 'enemy'. My point was only that when the city makes decisions such as it has and runs itself as it does, there are consequences. One of them being there's less money for capital projects such as a new arena and events center, C-train line to the airport and less money for services such as snow removal, bus services, etc.

The city just released it's 4 year budget, and due to the smoking creator in downtown vacancy rates the property values in the downtown are down a significant amount that the city has to make up elsewhere. This budget chooses austerity in their capital and operating budget and tax hikes on residential (3.5%) and a substantial hike placed on small businesses (25%) to make up the gap.

Somehow to advance this project forward we need to fit an arena or events center in there. My only point is that when we choose to build the most expensive highest quality things over more functional designs there's less money for other things. That's not a value judgement, based on the rave reviews of the library that might have been a great decision. It's just the facts that we can't have the best everything without either items that many consider crucial being unfunded, or it negatively impacting businesses and residents by passing on large tax increases.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...2019-1.4904431
Trust me, I know a lot of small businesses right now that dreading this.

That is a huge increase that is going to take a huge bite out revenues.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote