View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #1836
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Thanks. I’ll dive in. I’m curious. Because the 10:1 concept seems a little absurd on a gut feel perspective. Almost as if it mistakenly assumed every employee, judge, contractor, etc would be a Calgarian. Like someone took the $5B budget and divided it by Calgary’s ~$500M contribution.

That would be such an amateur mistake if so. Because my gut says there’s somewhere closer to a 2-4x benefit when you factor in future sporting events at the venues but this noise completely drowns that out.
It's not a mistake. It's a calculated choice to "show the calculation" in that manner to make you vote "OMG YES"!

If you were to truly believe a 10:1 return on investment, or even your 4 times return on investment - the entire world would be smashing your door down for that kind of return. You, I and every market in the world would be maxing out our credit cards to get that.

EDIT: And as mentioned in the CBC article:

Again, this $4.4-billion figure cited as a gain for the city is merely the cost of staging the Games. It's money the city won't be paying, but that doesn't make it all an economic gain for Calgary.

Last edited by chemgear; 11-01-2018 at 12:23 PM.