View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #997
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
For me I look beyond just benefits to athletes. I look at how sport is positive to the community. First I think about how the facilities need to be maintained no matter what, because nothing lasts forever. And how important places like these are for health and wellness, physical activity, education etc. How I go skating at the Oval every week, volunteer at COP to help young athletes that wouldn't be here otherwise. How a healthier populace is better in the long run than a bunch of couch potatoes.

And then I go beyond the sport because the Olympics are bigger than just sporting events. I think about the arts festivals, the street celebrations, the opportunities my family will have to see people from other cultures and learn about people and arts from our own culture. I think about how nice it is to have something other than the Stampede once in a while. I think about all of the other festivals that branch off as well.

For economic benefits I go back to sport and think about how important that industry is to Calgary. How many national teams, athletes, emerging athletes and former athletes are based here, centralize here, live, work, eat, sleep and train here? How many international athletes do the same? Literally thousands. Then I think of how it's all repeated when another world cup or world championship is held here.

Finally I think of how much fun it will be because, while some people are just bitter and care about their own small circle, I like to interact with my community and make Calgary better as much as I can.
The city could just give money to Winsport and COP for way way waaaaaay cheaper and keep the amatuer athelte/wellness benefits you've described which I agree are important.

As for festivals, other cultures etc...those are nice too but not for the price tag of $1,000,000,000 cost to the City.