View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #137
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
you'll most definitely be disappointed. the high end phone market is mature and there isn't anything left to tinker with other than the camera and screen in tiny increments. the only remaining growth is in the low-mid segment where Huawei and Xiaomi are moving their cheap units by the boatload in highly populated poor places like India.

Samsung and other premium phone manufacturers will just coast on their current phone products while investing in the next big thing. Apple is already gobbling up the watch segment, so other players have to move fast to get into the rest of the wearables market (glasses etc.)
I think the next big thing for high-end phones is getting a small form factor in pocket, still with a large screen. Probably will be done with a flip and maybe a foldable phone.

Another cool thing would be a projector. Would like to have an incorporated projector in my phone.

Way better battery life is another opportunity. Would love to see that. I think that one company a while back was onto something huge with one side of the phone being e-ink. Black & white would be an awesome option to be able to toggle on to get extra usage. Plus I could get rid of my e-reader - one more device incorporated into a cell phone.

You're right, though. It's hard to imagine where they go from here. Maybe I just have to readjust my thinking to phones being more of an appliance rather than exciting tech. Getting a new phone every couple years for the last 20 years used to be super exciting. Every new phone was always leaps and bounds better than your last phone because you missed a generation. Now I've been due for a hardware upgrade since April and not a single phone is markedly better than my S7. In fact, without headphone jacks on a lot of them, they seem worse.

Wearables suck. I had a smart watch and found it annoying.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: