View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #24
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Waivered early so that he clears and other teams haven't found out if their guys are NHL ready.

Hutchinson waived as Luoungo and Riemer will be the Panthers goalies.

102 NHL games 43-39-11 on a team that was missing the playoffs on a regular basis.

Last year in the AHL 17-5-1 2.08 GA .935 Sv % 2nd Team year end AHL All Star.

Flames won't pick him up as they hope Rittich and/or Gillies will be better.
Hutchinson is a solid goalie, and while I do think he might be a slight upgrade on either of Rittich or Gillies, I'm not fully convinced of it. Rittich has it in him to steal some games, and early on last year his save percentage was hovering between .920 and .930. Gillies has high end potential as well, so long as he cleans up the bad goals that he tends to give up. A trend that Hutchinson hasn't gotten away from yet either.

In my mind, the Flames have several bullets in the chamber if you include Parsons down the road as an option. Picking up Hutchinson now tells the goalies in your system that are currently competing for an NHL job that you don't think much of them and their confidence may be lost as a result, especially if they're close to the NHL. That's not a smart way to develop your goalies. All for what, a guy that might be a marginal upgrade, but probably not?

It's just not worth the risk.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: