View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
I see a lot of negative feedback elsewhere that she was a good female player but not talented enough skill wise to teach player development for a NHL team. For example the Women's Olympic team play against Midget AAA teams in Alberta and maybe win half their games. I practiced with her when I played university and she would never make those teams. Nice girl and inspiring story but she wasn't CIS talent.

Good on Leafs to see beyond that and give her a chance. Some of my best coaches and teachers in hockey over the years never played at high levels. I think that's what matters with these roles. Nice to have former NHL players in these roles but not always necessary.
While this is true, I dont think its particularly relevant to this.

First of all, a lot of successful NHL coaches were marginal players, they became excellent coaches because they couldnt just rely on their skill, they had to learn the game.

The same is true of Wickenheiser and women's hockey, she is probably more in tune with slight nuances and small things that can make a big difference or give a player an edge because she couldnt just out-muscle her opponents.

I think thats really the major benefit, you've got a player that made a habit of finding the edges, getting the breaks and making that space for themselves without relying on brute strength.

It offers a different perspective.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: