View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #2020
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Why get a 25 year old utility INF...

Oh right because Rogers can't face a proper tear down! I sure hope we can patch together a 70 win team for next season!

This return makes zero sense to me. I'd rather shoot for the moon with prospects then bring in a 25 year old.

And why aren't we getting any arms in these deals...
FWIW....
Ben Nicholson-Smith

Verified account

@bnicholsonsmith
55m55 minutes ago
More
#BlueJays expect to shift focus to controllable pitching now per Ross Atkins. “We’re at the point now where our position player talent is very, very strong and it’d be hard to really upgrade"

Currently reading "The Cubs Way" which profiles the Cubs run to the end the World Series curse and there is some really interesting stuff about how Epstein targeted position players early, especially in the draft. They felt their research shows them position players are safer in the sense they bust less often and are less temperamental than arms. They also felt that while a pitcher can lead a staff it's really difficult for a pitcher to lead a team and they wanted to emphasize character in their rebuild so they went all position players early (Bryant, Schwarber, Alomara etc) instead of the traditional model which told you to stack up on pitching.

Thought it was an interesting read given how the Jays have gone about business recently as well. Pat Gillick also has a similar philosophy, he would always take the hitter if he had a hitter and a pitcher rated the same in the draft.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post: