View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #2203
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason, it is not letting me quote FDW, so let me do it myself:

Flames Draft Watcher said:

Quote:
I don’t think freeing up a roster spot is irrelevant. I think another issue not enough of us are taking into account is that a veteran player often doesn’t handle being scratched gracefully. You think Brouwer is going to be happy and cool with being the 13th or 14th forward? It’s possible he might but it’s as likely or moreso that he pouts, complains and becomes a distraction. The roster spot also prevents other players from getting ice time. Frankly I’d rather have Czarnik, Hathaway or Lazar in Brouwer’s spot. I’m not convinced he’s any better than those guys so I’d rather play the younger player who isn’t on the decline.

The salary argument is merely icing on the cake.

I think a Brouwer buyout makes a lot of sense when you combine all the reasons. I don’t think trading any valuable assets to trade him salary retained makes anywhere near as much sense.

I don't know if Brouwer would pout or not. I don't think anyone on this forum could say it. Would he be angry? I would be disappointed if he didn't respond that way, but actually put and become a distraction? He did get the "A" for being a good leader, so it would be a bit of a leap to just assume that he would pout. If he does (which would shock me), you send him to Stockton.

I also don't think that his contract spot is important. Who would you rather have as the 13th forward? Maybe Quine or Johnson if you feel they are both expendable and finished products not requiring any development times.

Czarnik was not brought in to be the 13th forward. I think he has a roster spot, unless he loses it. Treliving and Peters flew out to discuss his position on the team, and I imagine they told him that he is going to get at least a long look with different line-mates.

I don't want Lazar being a 13th forward - he has great speed, solid defensively and he goes nuts on the forecheck. Who knows? Maybe Peters turns his game around enough on the offensive side that would surprise some here.

Hathaway? Sure... but I don't find Hathaway nearly as useful as a player as when he first broke out. He is poor defensively, offers nothing offensively, and he doesn't play like his nasty self any longer for some reason. I actually think that Brouwer is better than Hathaway, and given Hathaway's age, one can only expect minor improvements and refinements to his game. I don't think he catches Brouwer offensively or defensively, so he is a player I don't care about if he gets waived and claimed by another team.

I don't really want any other player sitting as the 13th forward. Brouwer? Sure. He is an EXTREMELY overpaid player for that role, but the Flames are paying him. As long as he doesn't interfere with any signings/extensions, then does it REALLY matter? Heck, if anything, it shows the rest of the team that you better play hard and live up to your contract or you will be benched too. Again, I can't see him pouting. Not being happy does not equal pouting. Treliving has sat down with Brouwer at the end of every season thus far. I am sure they will sit down with Brouwer at the start of the season and explain that his presence in the lineup is up to him, and if he doesn't perform, that there are other guys they will try ahead of him.

I am of the opinion that a young player needs to play. Healthy scratching someone consistently is a way to eat away at confidence, and these young guys need all the confidence they can find. Play them big minutes in Stockton, or play them at least decent minutes in the NHL. Don't healthy scratch them. That's what older vets hanging onto their NHL careers are for, IMO.

Once again, as long as Brouwer's salary isn't hampering any moves/extensions, then there is little reason to buy him out IMO. Buy him out next year, and you save a year's worth of him being on the books.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: