View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #255
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I agree.

But I was offering the only likely scenario where Brouwer gets bought out this summer. The buy out period is currently closed. We only get a new window if player-initiated arbitration results in someone being awarded a contract.

None of Hathaway, Kulak or Jankowski are going to command big money - so the most likely scenario that sees us needing to clear that space via buy out is Hanafin.

Though I'd be happier if we convinced someone to take Brouwer at 50% retained in exchange for a player to be named and a promise to just forget to name any player.
The way I read it, we get the window because players have filled for Arbitration, not because it goes to Arbitration. Maybe I'm wrong, but I found this "buyout windows for dummies" write-up on the web.

https://www.silversevensens.com/2015...efresher-guide

The second is a window related to arbitration, and it carries some extra restrictions. For this window to open, the team has to have a player that filed for arbitration. This window opens on the third day after the team's last arbitration is concluded (or settled, if it doesn't make it to a hearing) and is open for 48 hours. There are also restrictions on which players can be bought out - First, the player has to have been on the reserve list as of the last trade deadline (so no buying out that off-season signing you regret until the next trade deadline). Second, there is a minimum cap value for a contract to be eligible for this - $2.75m AAV initially, but the value goes up based on the average league salary each year. The notable absence in those restrictions is that it has nothing to do with who went to arbitration, any player who meets those two restrictions can be bought out.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post: