View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #251
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
This is why I don't understand the people who want to fire Treliving. You may disagree with some of the moves he makes - going for Smith, trading for Hamilton instead of Jones, various FA signings.

But.

When you look at his moves, they're logical, they're not made out of desperation, and while you may not agree with the specific player he choses to acquire, you cannot deny he identifies the right areas of weakness and does whatever he can to resolve it.
None of that matters if he fails to get the team up the standings though. He's been here so long and sold away so much of the future in the form of draft picks that all those moves that look good in isolation need to add up at least a playoff spot right now. Otherwise he's very likely gone. And I don't mean "fans will want him gone" or "I want him gone", I just don't see the Flames giving him more chances.

It's a results oriented business, simple as that.

After all that sort-of-criticism (although mostly it's just pointing out the obvious I think), I would however like to say that if there's one thing Treliving is undoubtedly good at, it's contract negotiations. Not all of them are steals, some of the players signed have been wrong choices, but the contracts themselves have been consistently at least decent and often excellent.

I'm not 100% sold on Lindholms potential, I'm not a huge fan of long contracts since there's so much risk involved, but with that cap hit it's a pretty low risk with potential for a really good payoff.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote