View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #186
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
The thing you're failing to take into account is that place that was a dump back then is now 30 years dumpier I for one would hope that over 30 years living conditions for everyone, students included would be better.

PS that shower is hilarious

And we're in a lul in the rental market right now due to the economic conditions which has brought down prices significantly, a few years ago that same place probably was running $1100 or more. It's had the strongest effect on the bottom of the market as when prices came down people could afford to move up leaving a glut at the bottom.

My current place i pay 1350 for i know was rented out at 1600 by 2 different tenants for over 5 years between them previous to me.
Whether or not it's thirty years dumpier depends on the level of maintenance by the management company. Some are great, others... ehhh. It can't be broadly applied to the rental market or property in general. My fiancée's townhouse she's selling was built in the 70s, but you could easily say it is in nicer shape inside now than it was when it was built, given that it was completely renovated.

As for the fact that we're in a rental market lull, sure. But markets ebb and flow anyway, so basically skudr248 should have made his argument three years ago, except that Cliff probably wouldn't have made the claim he did back then, either.

My old place in Vetro (Victoria Park) was $1,800 a month for a one bedroom when I first started renting it in 2013. By the time I moved out in 2016, I had easily built a case to send the landlord -- using suites available for rent just in my building alone -- that my rent should come down to anywhere between $1,450 and $1,600. I then decided I wanted a bigger, more baller place, and left.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote