View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #700
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Iginla's first season he got 50 points. By his third he scored 28 goals, good enough to be a top 30 goal scorer in the league at the time. And his fourth season (pro-rated) saw him score 67 points. He had a very common sophomore slump, but other than that had continuously improved his game and it's hard to draw any type of comparison between a 21 year old who scored 28 goals (on a team who's top player scored 30), and a 21 year old who scored 26 points.

There's no doubt that St. Louis was a late bloomer, so we got to give you that one, but even he entered the 2003 season with exactly 200 games under his belt. He scored 70 points in the following 82 games.
I'm not trying to draw statistical comparisons, there are so many other variables there. But using the 250 game rule you expect you are getting a 25/25 guy out of Iginla. He ended up being so much more. My point is that it took a lot of character to do the work required to improve and that he was a player that wasn't restricted by the 250 game benchmark.

Does Bennett have it in him to do that? Can he get the ice-time and line mates to do that? Is he willing to spend his entire offseason working to be better? I don't know, but these are factors that management needs to look at for his future a lot more than a statistical 250 game imaginary line.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post: