View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #672
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's not a question of not wanting to talk about it. It just is what it is.

If he doesn't get better, you deal with it.

But if that is how things play out, so be it. You don't give up the upside to avoid that.

It's a risk/reward scenario. And the only win is to wait and see if he can take the next step. There is no upside to throwing in the towel now, because the return would be marginal anyway.
You're kind of right. Before this past season it was fair to give him a reasonable 2 year show me contract and be patient for 2 more seasons. He unfortunately hasn't performed so far in the contract but still 1 more year to change that. Ideally, he turns into a top 6 player. I have my doubts but hope that I am wrong.

That said, I still think you can get value from him if Flames are ready to move on at draft or this summer. Next summer will be too late. They don't have a pick the first few rounds this draft. Maybe they can get some picks back. They need another top 6 forward IMO. He was going to be that guy. Maybe they can use him with a defense prospect to get that if UFA route isn't there. Flames should have a good sense on who he is after 3 seasons.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote