View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #113
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
By all accounts they did give them the offer to leave.

A cop can give you a warning for speeding sure, that's their discretion, the same way they can ask someone to leave private property nicely. But if you were to immediately continue to speed after receiving your warning, and told the police as much, and the police just let you do it because it's late and no one is out? Yeah, they aren't doing their jobs. And what happens if you get in an accident because of your speed when the cops knowingly allowed you to do so?

I don't like any admission that the police did wrong on the part of the City. However, the City still has a duty to their residents and spending $2 on a settlement and then giving a $200,000 grant for young entrepreneurs, which potentially was already being discussed before any of this happened and just made a nice excuse, it's a lot better than wasting time and money at the courts - especially with the perception of going against 2 black men who were discriminated against and are only asking for a dollar each.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a somewhat similar situation that happened in Canada, if people aren't aware:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ack-customers/
Yeah, that's what this boils down to. It's still ridiculous that the City had to settle anything, since a lawsuit would have been a slam dunk for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I am sure the potential was there for lawsuits that they overstepped their bounds. That they acted in a way that infringed on civil rights.
I highly doubt it, though I suppose it might have made an interesting court case.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote