View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #69
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I actually think that league is the sweet spot for Calgary baseball. We are weather constrained in this city and any baseball league that plays night games in April and May will never survive in this market. Baseball starting the middle of June and running to the end of August lines up perfectly with when Calgary weather is at it's best.

People might point to the Dawgs and Vipers experience and highlight how those didn't work in Calgary, however I would counter that affiliated ball (while it might actually be a worse quality of baseball than the Dawgs or Vipers) would give it an aura of professionalism / association with the Major Leagues that kept the casual fan away from those teams.
Yeah. I used to frequent games in the middle of summer and they were great fun. Problem was that evenings don't get comfortable in Calgary until June so crowds were sparse to start the season not to mentioned all the games that would be postponed annually by snow. I can't imagine the players enjoyed it either. Calgary could support another AAA team but they would need an indoor facility and there's no way that's going to get funded.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote