View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #420
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Erned Nevergivn View Post
I understand where your coming from but I'll share a personal story that may provide insight. My Cousin passed away 2 weeks ago way too early at the age of 37 from a sudden brain aneurysm. He was a huge oiler fan, so much so that he was buried in his signed Gretzky jersey, with his signed Gretzky rookie card, in a camo coffin covered in an oiler's flag. The Paul bearers all bought oiler's jersey's with his name and date of birth on the back. One of these paul bearers was my old man who is a giant flames fan. But these guys were not the only people in oilers jerseys, in fact 1/2 of the >100 people who attended the funeral wore Jerseys.

The point of this story is that it brought a lot of smiles to people's faces knowing that our brother, cousin, friend, Joe got the last laugh having all of canadians (most who despise the oilers) wear his team's jersey. Lots of pictures were taken, of proud, teary eyed, smiling people that day. I believe this helped a lot of people that day. Smiling and laughing in times of tragedy and grief is not something negative, nor does it mean the people are happy. All it means is that they are happy to support a cause, or they are proud to be wearing it.

And even if people are just jumping on a bandwagon for the hell of it, its still support and I believe there is no Ill will involved.
I'm out of Thanks, so gonna say it, Thanks for sharing, very touching.