View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #88
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Sure the players have quit at this point, which sucks but kind of makes sense given the letdown. Your take is super interesting, though I have a different view. I think GG’s system is terrible.

The system results in a ton of low percentage SOGs that support the coach’s view of a possession based system. His breakout is either a flip to center ice or a hard rim to a guy who’s standing still at the opposing blue line. The D’s gap is horrible because he wants them to quickly retrieve pucks and flip them out, which results in teams walking in with speed and scoring at will. He wants fwds to get setup in the offensive zone because he doesn’t want to risk turnovers, which completely stifles the team’s best assets, which are active D, creativity off the rush and quick transitions. Don’t even get me started on the power play.

He has been forcing this system when it clearly doesn’t work. There is a reason Hartley caught lightning in a bucket, because for better or for worse, his system encouraged D activation, quick transition and tight gap control. He wanted the D to get pucks to the forwards fast, move up as a unit and score off the rush. Basically the complete opposite of GG’s system. And guess what, it worked.
Nailed it. You look at Boston and they are playing the same system Hartley had, relentless forechecking, speed and head-manning the puck.
I think Heep should coach for the rest of the season.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote